A MODEL FOR CHANGE
1. ASSESSMENT OF TRAINING, KNOWLEDGE, PRACTICE - SURVEY
Conduct a survey of agency, utilising questionnaire.
a. To raise the issues
b. To assess the levels of training, knowledge and practice
c. To use as argument for need for training.
Once survey completed, compile responses and present at team meeting to discuss the way forward.
2. ASSESSING PROCEDURES AND POLICIES
At the same, or next, team meeting, circulate Policy & Procedures Questionnaire; get colleagues to complete; write up responses on flip chart.
a. To identify gaps in policies and procedures.
b. To use as an aide to identify who is responsible to fill gaps. (Ensure tabled at subsequent team meetings to assess progress).
3. DEVELOPING POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
Equal Opportunities Policy
Does Equal Opportunities Policy include lesbians, gays and bisexuals (LGBs)? If not, how can it be included?
Grievance and Harasssment Procedures
Do the Grievance and Harassment procedures include homophobic incidents? If not, how can they be included? Ensure it includes what to do if a member of staff or user/client is homophobic (incidents, verbal, physical).
Does it work? Is there room for a colleague to make a complaint (i.e. so that it does not have to be the individual who is being discriminated against)?
Monitoring & Evaluation
Does Monitoring & Evaluation system include LGBs/homophobic incidents, anti-homophobic work? If not, how ensure included? (performance indicators, objectives, methods, task completion, asking LGB clients/non-clients)
Does your agency have a management committee or steering or advisory group? If it does, are the needs of LGBs represented? If yes, how? If not, how ensure they are? How else could you make the agency accountable?
How are the attitudes of staff/volunteers assessed? Beliefs/Attitudes questionnaires, interviews, induction, appraisals/supervision, monitoring & evaluation.
How develop an anti-discriminatory contract for all staff to sign?
Do you have an induction process? Does it include the above? How can you ensure it includes the above?
With LGB organisations:
national: LAGER, Stonewall, GLADD, Lesbian Cusody Project, etc.
Publicity about services aimed at LGBs:
Shout, consultancy group, representatives on management committee, word of mouth, policies, directories, links.
Is training provided for all staff on the following:
- need for equal opportunities
- basic homophobic awareness
- dealing with homophobic incidents (grievance, harassment, complaints, incidents, procedures)
- anti-discrimination work with clients (books, articles, videos, curriculum)
- assessment of clients
- support (generic and specialist)
4. DEVELOPING PROVISION
As above, policies and procedures, plus:
- Exercises e.g. attitudes, beliefs, etc.
- Residentials/awareness courses
- Inclusion of homosexuality within usual curriculum
- Accept and believe
- Assessment procedure (how identify LGB)?
- Referral (and support to attend)
- Information - telephone numbers, booklets
- Advocacy with other agencies if needed (having first ensured the agency is supportive to LGBs)
- Usual support
- Specialist Worker
- Support for Worker and Work
- Survey of Needs
- Outreach Work
- Support Group
© Jan Bridget 2000